Monday, May 2, 2016

     Well, after what appears to be 5-1/2 years, I'm going to post a little something ... mainly to see if anyone is paying attention.  I have no idea if this will register with anyone.

     Yesterday, Sunday, May 1st, Marilyn and I drove 99 miles to North Spartanburg (here in South Carolina) to see Bill and Kathy Gandy.  They had been attending a missionary conference at First Baptist in that town. We were able to spend about three hours with them at lunch.  I love seeing old friends from China.

     Seeing messages and comments in various social media sites this week, I had many memories about what the month of May meant to me as a teacher at TIS. 
          In another week or two, Cory and I would be leading 7th grade Spring Trip to Shandong province ... with Molly.  (Amazing how easily the three of us worked together.)
          Prepping the 8th graders for their final exam.  (Hebrews 11:1-12:2)
          Preparing and delivering the annual cards of encouragement for the Senior class. In the old school building, I'd go on Saturday or Sunday and post them all around the Senior Lounge so that Monday would start with, what I hoped were, pleasant surprises.  At the new school I had to deliver them to a high school teacher who may/may not distribute them as I requested.  No one does that at all now.
     Part of this was prompted by Lisa's question:  would I be interested in being the commencement speaker this year?

If anyone sees this, let me know. 
In His Name,
Mark

3 comments:

Brandon said...

Hi Mark! Saw this pop up in my feedly and wanted to respond to let you know I saw it. We had a chance to see Bill Gandy two years ago when he was coming through L.A.; we made it a point to meet him on our way through back down to San Diego. We have also been able to meet up with the Smiths in Texas when I attended an education conference, the Wickershams in Irvine when they were visiting family there, and I recently saw Dan Kennedy in Virginia during our annual field trip. I too miss so many people from China, including you and Marilyn--it's been too long already! We should try to see you someday. Hope all is well. Miss your wisdom and love for God. --Brandon

Mark Prescott said...

Thanks for the note, Brandon. We'd like to get to California sometime this year. Marilyn wants to fly and I want to do a road trip. I'd like to get to Michigan for the Pollocks and Raleigh for the Swingles. I really enjoyed your colonial costume for your school. Are you really the headmaster?

Brandon said...

Let us know when you are coming through and maybe we can meet you guys. We would love that! No, not the headmaster but I was a "schoolmaster" for that day.